another beginner question...

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: another beginner question...
From: Mayer49@netscape.net
Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2002 18:30:53 -0500
Well good afternoon y'all.
  This being my very first project car ever and first engine re-build ever, i
have yet another stupid question.
  I am going to be putting the head gasket on my '68 Spit next weekend (too
cold and snowy this weekend without a heated garage to work in).  Now, i looked
at all my gaskets in the set last week and i noticed that on one side of the
head gasket there is a small piece of metal in between the cylinder holes, not
just around them....but acctually in-between them.  What is the purpose of this
and when installing does that go down on the block or is that facing up and
contacting the head?
Like i said, stupid question.  But this being my first rebuild ever i want to
do it right and know why it is right.
Thanks all.
  Dave
  '68 Spit MK3