RE: t-shirts and copyrights

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: t-shirts and copyrights
From: "Bill Miller" <millerb@ivwnet.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 19:38:05 -0500
Yes, I'd like to have a 2XL

However
On copyright, two things...

If you find out someone is using your copyrighted work, no matter how small,
you *must* pursue that infringement.  If you don't, you can lose your
copyright.  This usually results in a simple cease and desist order, you
just have to show that you are protecting your copyright.

Second, I don't remember the exact particulars, but you must make seven (not
sure of the number) *significant* changes to the artwork (or drawing) to not
violate copyright.  Significant changes do NOT include resizing, mirroring
(ie making a LHD a RHD), changing the color, or cropping.  There are many
other rules, but I do not remember them.

So, if Haynes (or who ever is the copyright holder) finds out what you are
doing, they *will* ask you to stop.  Probably nothing more than that.  If
you don't stop, they will take you to court.  Or, they may license you, for
a fee, X number of copies.

That being said, we all violate copyright daily.  Copying audio CD's,
Photocoping books, Copying images off the internet and making tshirts, etc.
Don't catch their eye.  Don't post to a world open bulletin board.  Don't
make them have to say no.  I'm sure they *really* don't care if you make a
few Tshirts.  Unfortunately their lawyers do.  My suggestion would be to
take this off list and do it "word of mouth" or one to one.

And yes, I can draw, paint, create, photograph, etc. a picture of anything,
including someone else's car, and hold copyright on *my* image.  That is
what Haynes paid for.  That particular image.

Bill Miller
not a lawyer either, but a copyright holder.