Suspension Questions (with an engine swap trailer)

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Suspension Questions (with an engine swap trailer)
From: "Chris Alexander" <chris@root.moose.ca>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 14:06:03 -0500
Thanks to those that have responded to me about the archives issue. Seems
they are broken or whatever...

Anyway, what I was hoping to find out was....  :)

Are all the Spitfire vintages a swing axle design? I've been doing some web
surfing at the Spit sites that are out there and there doesn't seme to be a
lot of discussion on the suspensions of these cars.  If this is incorrect,
please direct me to the site(s) I need to go to.

Is there a vintage that is more desirable because of better handling
characteristics? Is there a vintage that is a non-swing axle setup - maybe
the last of the 1500s? What is difference between the MkIV/1500 suspension
and that of a GT6?

I'm asking this question because if I buy a Spit this summer I want to avoid
a car that will have "funny" jacking with cornering and transition. Like I
said in an earlier post, I'm a newbie to Spits so if my concerns are
unfounded I'd like to hear more. :)

Also, at the expense of sounding like I have a heretical disposition, has
anyone ever performed a swap of a Suzuki 1300cc DOHC engine into a Spitfire?
They are about 105 hp out of the box and weigh around 200 lbs (all
aluminum). It might be a match made in heaven so to speak.  :)  Just curious
if it's been done.

T!