Re: Overdrive

To: John & Judy Tones <jtones@shaw.ca>
Subject: Re: Overdrive
From: Nolan Penney <npenney@erols.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 17:53:36 -0500
The overdrive itself was fitted to many different cars.  From Volvo to AMC, MG
Healey.  The laycock unit is identical, in that J type is a J type, a P type is
P type, etc.  But, the adapter plate to join the overdrive to the main
transmission is different.  So, if you're thinking you can yank an overdrive off
a junkyard Volvo and slap it onto the back of a Spitfire speed, you cannot.  But
if you're already got an overdrive gearbox, and are just looking to replace the
overdrive itself, that you could do, with just a visual inspection to ensure
that
indeed you are looking at a J type (for the later Spit), or a D type (for the
earlier Spit).