Re: [spitfire-enthusiast] GT6 engines anyone?

To: spitfire-enthusiast@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [spitfire-enthusiast] GT6 engines anyone?
From: Nolan Penney <npenney@erols.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 17:52:42 -0500
I just got inside from examining this engine.  The engine turns over freely
and smoothly, no frightening sounds inside as I spun it over by hand through
several rotations.  Thrust washers feel fine, as the crankshaft fore and aft
motion is minimal.

The head is unbolted, but was not ever actually removed, judging from the
usual crud on the outside of the engine.  The flywheel and pulley were
removed, as were the manifolds.  This would lead me to believe the engine was
in the process of being torn down.  The previous owner thinks that  this
engine was running but knocking.  That would match the tear down that was
apparently going on, though I felt nothing when turning the engine over.

I have  in various boxes, and on the other short block all the parts that
bolt onto the engine.  From the flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, pulley, and
water pump, to the alternator, fuel pump, manifolds and carburetors.  Even an
air pump, if that actually goes with this engine.  Basically, we could ensure
you have a complete and dressed motor.

The only thing I saw that makes me go "er" is that the rocker arm shaft and
valves were removed.  I'm almost positive I placed them in a box and brought
them here, but I'm not 100% certain of that as I type this.

I can't give the motor away Paul, as I shelled out some money this time for
all the stuff.  But as always, prices are negotiable, and trades for
interesting things that would make my Spitfire handle better are always
welcome.  How about I start out asking $600, and you counter offer and argue
the other direction.

I'd give you call, but I've no idea where I squirreled away your phone
number.  Mine is 410 857 9419 though.  I'll be in tonight, and around
tomorrow until afternoon when we go do the family feast thing.