re: Subject: front suspension renewal - bent vertical link?

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: re: Subject: front suspension renewal - bent vertical link?
From: "Greg Rowe" <growe58@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2001 21:59:56 -0500
>From: Carter Shore <clshore@yahoo.com>
>Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 18:20:36 -0800 (PST)
>
>As for me, in more than 30 years racing, (re)building,
>and driving Spitfires, I have never seen, nor heard
>of, a vertical link that was bent, or failed. This
>includes several rebuilds of street and racecars where
>the wheels were destroyed by impact.

Happened to me.  The vertical link sheered at the point
where the trunnion threads begin.  Not a whole lot of
metal there.  The guy at the tech line at The Roadster
Factory told me that it was not common, but not unknown.
What's scarey is that I had just slowed from 70+mph to
about 25mph for a red traffic light.  I shudder to think
what would have happened if it failed at 70...

Cheers!

Greg Rowe