GT6 timing curves?

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: GT6 timing curves?
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 12:27:02 -0500
Okay, campers, some info if you please.  I've gotten my GT6 carbqs worked
out pretty well (thanks to Jeff at Racetune for his help), so I wanna' start
optimizing the timing.  It has no idle retard unit, so I'm using the static
timing spec as a guide to the idle timing.  It is set 2 deg later than the
static spec right now on the premise that I'm not really running 1970
quality gas.  What I'd *like* to do is check it at various rpm's higher up
to see how well its centrifugal mechanism is working.  The onliest thing is,
though, I have no such specs.  Ultimately I'll have to do the "listen for
pinking" thing, but the more pieces of info, the better.  (The car can be so
noisy sometimes that I'm not sure what I'd be hearing anyway!)

So what is *your* GT6 set to?  What timing does it show at, say, 2500?  If
mine is set late right now, would I expect any particular symptoms other
than not enough go-fast?  Higher than expected noise perhaps?  Unburned
hydrocarbons in the exhaust?

Tanks,

Jim Muller
jimmuller@pop.rcn.com