RE: 70 miles on 1/2 tank

To: "'James Carruthers'" <jcarruthers@freenet.co.uk>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: 70 miles on 1/2 tank
From: Richard Gosling <richard.gosling@exprogroup.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 11:57:06 -0000
James,

Sounds a little thirsty to me.  I have a '78, absolutely standard UK spec
(well, the exhaust is stainless but to the standard design), so no different
to yours.  I was getting around 180 miles on a full tank (I'd run it until
it was almost empty so I wouldn't have to stop too often) until I replaced
jets and needles and had a half-decent tune-up, I now get 240-250 miles from
a full tank.  This was measured when I was commuting mostly along a motorway
at 75-80 mph, with a little urban at either end.

34 mpg is not an unreasonable expectation for a reasonably well-tuned Spit.
Be wary of what those in the States claim - firstly their cars are often
full of anti-pollution equipment which can slightly increase consumption (as
well as having different carbs), but more importantly their gallons are
smaller!

I wouldn't trust too much the gauge reading half-full as meaning you have
half a tank.  My gauge is actually pretty linear, but that's not something
to count on.  Instead, fill right up, then record your mileage.  Check the
mileage again when you next fill right up, and the amount you put in, and
calculate mpg from that, it will be MUCH more accurate (well, less
inaccuarate!).

However, even on this rough estimate, I'd reckon you should be doing better
than you are.

Richard & Daffy
Important Notice:
The information in this email is confidential and may be legally-privileged.
If you have reason to believe you are not the intended recipient, any
disclosure,
copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on
it is prohibited and may be unlawful and you are requested to contact the sender
urgently and dispose of this email