Front suspension overhaul

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Front suspension overhaul
From: John Hobson <goalie_john@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 13:27:41 -0700 (PDT)
I started on my front suspension overhaul project today and succeeded in
removing the lower wishbone, sanding it down and painting it with
hammerite, which I later found out is a bugger to get off your hands!
Mental note: next time wear gloves...

The reason I have not got any further with the project is that two of the
bolts holding the top of the shock absorber in place had previously been
totally rounded off and that's where I got a bit stuck.  Do any of you
have any good ideas as to how I can remove them?  I am happy to consign
the shock top plate as toast, but if I could preserve it I would like to.
 I thought about sawing the nut off but there doesn't seem to be quite
enough space to do this.  I always seem to come up against this problem
when undertaking projects, it's very frustrating and puts me off a bit in
trying my hand at more stuff.

Also is there any alternative to ball joint extractors or will I have to
buy one of these to remove the ball joints from the upper wishbone and
ends of the steering rack?

What size drill bit should I use to drill out the old bushings?  A really
big one that would drill most of the rubber, or one that is a little
bigger than the metal insert?

This is the first big job that I have done on my car so almost everything
that I do is new to me, I'm sure that once I have done a lot of these
jobs once a lot of it will become second nature and I will know how to
resolve problems that I come across more easily.

Any help very much appreciated as always.

cheers
John & Saskia the 3 wheeler Spitfire
http://phone.yahoo.com