Re: cardboard shroud

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: cardboard shroud
From: <rtgetzinger@scif.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 10:49:52 PDT
Engine shrouds
My method for these is to use 1/4 inch plywood. I lay out the pieces for the
fan and engine shroud so the wood grain is in line. Cut the pieces out. Use
my propane torch to ligthly burn in the grain on both sides-looks cool. The
side facing the engine gets treated with multiple coats of BBQ black hi-temp
spray paint and is sealed with a thin layer of marine varnish. All other
sides get multiple layers of marne varnish allowing the burnt wood grain to
show. Replace the stock metal pieces from the originals with new bolts.
Replace. Looks good and doesn't catch on fire from headers. Cost a fraction
of the new stuff.