Re: OK it runs for a short trip, then backfires and spits and

To: "Bradley D Richardson" <bradrichardson@juno.com>
Subject: Re: OK it runs for a short trip, then backfires and spits and
From: "John and Chris" <peacox1@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 23:02:46 -0400
Before I say anything I want to apologize to the some of you for my coment
about the wires.  It didn't read like I thought it did when I wrote it.
When I read it, after I sent it, I realized it kinda sounded like I was
being a jerk.

anyway---------I had tried the gas cap thing, and it made no differance.
That was also my first thought.

As it turns out the Accell sport coil that was only supposed to be a couple
months and 10 to 15 miles old has gone bad.

Funny how I found out.  I took the Land Rover out in the woods this past
weekend.  Great Fun!!  Not much out there could do what this thing did.
Anyway, today I was cleaning all the mud from everywhere, including the
interior and engine compartment.  After hosing it all off it would not
start.  I followed the procedures in the LR manual and it led me to a bad
coil or ignition module.

Guess what the coil looked like.  Why it is just like my Spitrire coil.  So
I pulled it out and stuck it in the Spit to see if it would fire up and run,
thus eliminating that as the trouble with the LR.  Well the Spit purrs like
a kitten and does not backfire anymore.  The bad news is that all that is
left on the LR is a $500 ignition module.   At least that is what Discount
Auto parts is quoting.  I think the idiot thinks I need an ECU or something.

So I will be driving the Spitfire tomorrow.  Wish me luck

Thanks to all
John