Re: Windscreen and B post Cap goop?

To: S Twigg <seanan@crosslink.net>
Subject: Re: Windscreen and B post Cap goop?
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 12:40:25 -0700
S Twigg wrote:

> Everyone,
>         I was wondering what exactly was/is the goop that is placed
> under the windscreen and B posts caps on a Spitfire.  I removed both to
> do some minor rust repairs and found a caulk like substance there.  I
> haven't checked my manuals yet but is this Seelastik (sp)?  Is there an
> appropriate substitute, like plumbers putty, or am I altogether wrong?
>
> Thanks,
> Sean
> '80 Spitfire

I use Mastick to seal the capper.  It comes in rolls and is sticky and pliable
so it will conform to the shape of whatever it is applied to.  Since it
does not dry out, it continues to seal long after some other stuff one might
use.

It is commonly used to seal corrugated roofing panels where they overlap.

Joe