Re: UK to US translation?

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: UK to US translation?
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 18:43:57 -0400
At 10:58 AM 9/13/01 +0100, Dean Rayner wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Can some one clarify what Enamel is?
>and
>What Laquer is?
>
>As a UK resident I would call the origional paint technology on our cars
'Celulose' and moden paint technology 'Two Pack'.  There is also the touch
up sprays which I would call 'Acrylic' (Very soft).

>"Celulose" Mix 50/50 with thiners and shoot with a mask.
>"Two Pack" Contains IsoCyanates (sp) and kills you!!

Dean,

  I haven't seen anyone reply to your question.  I'm not a chemist so
I don't really know if I can answer your question with specifics, but
I'll try.

Lacquer - an older type paint.  It was thinned with lacquer thinner, and
          was very fast drying.  It was usually applied in several coats,
          then "wet sanded".  Several more coats were applied and the
          "wet sanding" repeated.  This would go on for many many coats.

          It is said to be very brittle, but I've never really had a problem
          with it.

          It did have a tendency to blush - or go whitish if there was too
          much moisture in the air as it dried from the outside in, which
          allowed it to trap the moisture.

Enamel -  A newer paint.  Doesn't go on as wet - has a greater tendency to
          run.  So places actually use heat lamps to help speed its curing.
          It has a tendency to fish eye - form small circular areas where
          the paint is rejected due to oils being on the material being
          painted.  It also has a tendency to "orange peel".  Get dimples
          due to the paint curing too fast.

          This paint usually only has a couple of coats applied.  Then if
          it is dull from overspray, or orange peeled, it can be wet sanded
          with 2,000 grit paper and then buffed back out to a luster.

          There is a "hardener" additive that contains IsoCyanates that
          can be used with this paint.

The "Two Pack" as you call them are called "Base coat Clear coat" here.
The base coat is the color coat and is very fast drying - like lacquer.
The clear coat contains the IsoCyanates and gives the paints their depth.

This is a real laypersons explination.  But I hope it helps.

John

        65 Rambler Classic

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin:  www.bricklin.org