Speaking of pulleys. . .

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Speaking of pulleys. . .
From: Walker910@aol.com
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 09:11:24 EDT
Speaking of pulleys, I wonder if anyone out there can help me with this:

Finishing up an engine rebuild on a Spit Mark III.  When I got to the point
where I reinstalled the pulleys, I noticed that the crankshaft pulley is
forward of the water pump and generator pulleys by about 3/16 to 1/4 of an
inch.  The water pump and generator pulleys seem to be dead on.  I used a
straight edge to confirm this.

The crankshaft and camshaft sprockets are even with one another; the
crankshaft sprocket is hard against the shoulder of the crankshaft--except
for two needed spacers; the oil thrower is hard against the crankshaft
sprocket; and the pulley is hard against the oil thrower.  There are no gaps!
 So why is the pulley forward by so much?  Was it that way prior to
disassembling the engine, and I didn't notice it?

I figure I can shim the generator forward to line up it's pulley with the
crankshaft pulley, but there's nothing I can do about the alignment of the
water pump pulley.  And, no, the water pump pulley hasn't been somehow
"pressed in".  It's a new pump, and has the exact same measurements as the
old pulley I replaced.

Anyone out there have any ideas or comments?

Bob