Re: Killed my '70 Mk3's electrical system!

To: Ar164super@wmconnect.com, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Killed my '70 Mk3's electrical system!
From: Dan Canaan <Flinters@picarefy.com>
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2001 19:57:55 -0700
Remove the guage and hook the wires back the way they were.  If the car
operates normally, it means your ammeter became a very pretty and single
use fuse.  If you had the full current of the starter going through it from
the battery, it will certainly pop easily.  Most ammeters have a shunt bar
bolted to the back that carries the main current and only a bit (usually
100 mA) goes through the guage for a full movement sweep of the needle.
You might find that the guage can only measure a maximum of 50 amps or so-
which means you can't hook it between the starter and the battery since it
will pull over 100 amps easily during a startup.

Personally I would probably hook up such a guage (center zero movements
give you the best info) between the generator/alternator lead that goes to
the battery.  We know when the battery is being discharged - it's always
being discharged while the car is running.  But what you really need to
know is what the charging system is putting back into the battery- if
anything at all.

 |             |   1968 Triumph Spitfire Mk III   *   Furry Artist      |
 |             |   MINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINT!!   |
 |    Canaan   |     ConiFur NorthWest 2001 - Furries in Seattle!       |
 | CONIFUR NW  |   Flinters@picarefy.com * http://jarmac.picarefy.com   |