Ignition light/Alternator

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>, <nass@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Ignition light/Alternator
From: "Howard Baugues" <HRBaugues@cadprod.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 16:42:14 -0400
I would like to thank everyone that replied with helpful answers about my
ignition light. I took the Spit to a local Specialty Battery shop (that I
trust) and they tested my battery and alternator. The alternator is not
charging and my battery was holding at 11.8V (maybe enough to get me home
tonight).
They had remanufactured Delco 7127-12c on the shelf for $35.00 and $2 for the
plug. There is a $10 core charge but I am going to keep my Lucas alternator as
a doorstop or something. So this weekend I will be making the alternator
conversion on my 76 from the instructions off of Dan Canaan's website.

Dan Canaan, you were first to hit it right on the nose.
John, Paul, Bob, Robert, Howard, Laura, Terry, Banana-Brad, and anyone else I
might have missed, thank you for your fast assistance.

I must tell you that I think I brought this problem on myself. With several
close calls while driving my Spit, I feel safer driving with the headlights on,
so maybe others will notice the little red car BEFORE they hit it. Well, once
last week, and once this week (Tue.) I left my lights on after lunch and
drained the battery. I carry a jump-pack so starting was not a problem, but I
did not go home and put the battery on charge for the night. I think this
caused my alternator to do all the work recharging my battery, instead of just
maintaining it as they are designed for. Too many times and it just gave up.
After finishing the conversion, I am going to dig out the issue#2 of Spitfire &
GT6 magazine and build the "Lights-on Buzzer" that Andy Prevelig submitted last
year. It will remind me when I've left the headlights on, and save my battery
and my alternator.

Thanks again to everyone,
Howard Baugues
West Terre Haute, IN, USA