Re: Ignition light

To: Howard Baugues <bauguesh@abcs.com>, nass <nass@yahoogroups.com>,
Subject: Re: Ignition light
From: Dan Canaan <Flinters@picarefy.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 19:36:57 -0700
At 09:29 PM 8/30/01 -0500, Howard Baugues wrote:
>Today I noticed my (red) ignition light was lit up in my 76 Spitfire.
>The car was running fine, and continued to do so. I made several stops
>and it started fine each time, but the light came on and stayed on each
>time.
>Where should I start looking to troubleshoot this? And what are the most
>likely causes?

Charging issue most likely.  Using a volt meter, test the battery voltage
before and after you start the engine.  It should be a minimum of 12.6
volts with the car running, and ideally around 14-16 volts.  If it doesn't
change when you start or even goes down a bit, then you've got an
alternator problem.  A good strong battery can mask the problem for quite a
while.
 |             |   1968 Triumph Spitfire Mk III   *   Furry Artist      |
 |             |   MINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINT!!   |
 |    Canaan   |     ConiFur NorthWest 2001 - Furries in Seattle!       |
 | CONIFUR NW  |   Flinters@picarefy.com * http://jarmac.picarefy.com   |