A lot of work, but...

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: A lot of work, but...
From: Terry Thompson <firespiter@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 11:35:08 -0700 (PDT)
After 3 days of measuring, cutting, shaving, trimming,
gluing, screwing and cussing, my customized trunk area
is almost done. I still need to glue the carpet on to
the wheel arches, but you get the idea from the
following photos:

http://www.geocities.com/firespiter/images/spitimages/trunk1.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/firespiter/images/spitimages/trunk2.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/firespiter/images/spitimages/trunk3.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/firespiter/images/spitimages/trunk4.jpg

The spare tire and tire bracket were removed to get
more space utilization (a much lighter AAA card that
fit's snugly in my wallet and a can of tire inflate
that sits in the trunk replaces them. About a 29 lb.
weight savings).

I used 1/8" hardboard (the stuff that pegboard is
made-of but without the holes) for the tank panel and
side panels. And a 1/4" hardboard for the bottom/floor
panel.

http://www.geocities.com/firespiter/images/spitimages/panel1.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/firespiter/images/spitimages/panel2.jpg

There's a piano hinge that allows the bottom to be
installed without removal of the tail light
assemblies, and a 1" finger hole so that forward area
can be lifted and small items stored in the shallow
trough.

http://www.geocities.com/firespiter/images/spitimages/panel3.jpg

I like the original boot light, but it isn't very
bright and the new lens broke the first time the
original tank board flexed. So, I replaced it with a
light I purchased from Pep Boys for around $5. I took
the photos without the plastic covers that go on the
lights, because a mis-calculation was made on the way
the covers fit.

-Terry
'76 spitfire 1500
Maryland