Re:

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re:
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 18:28:42 +0100
In article <20010524103202.57422.qmail@web9607.mail.yahoo.com>, John
Hobson <goalie_john@yahoo.co.uk> writes
>I had a dream a couple of nights ago that I had gone to the Spitfire
>Graveyard and that everything had been tidied up immaculately and there
>was no damp!

Dream on! <g>

>It certainly is a strange place with a suitably eccentic owner.  When
>Mike visited it was a lot damper that is usual due to the large amount of
>rain we had the previous week.  There has been a white Stag in there for
>the last 4-5 months that looked in quite a tidy condition when it first
>came in, sadly the same is not true now with a lot of rust creeping up
>the bodywork.  Fortunately if they get any nice cars in they usually go
>fairly sharpish, and the cars that they break are usually too far gone
>anyway for much of the bodywork to be of much use.  They have a large
>stock of parts, of which the majority are probably unuseable, but you can
>find the odd gem and as Mike says, all the best parts get wrapped in
>plastic and stored in the office, my sunvisors were and they're in good
>condition.

I really ought to reiterate that, given a little TLC, the steering wheel
and seat-belt catches I got there came up like new.   Given the prices
(#20 and #5 the pair respectively), I certainly intend to drop in
whenever I'm near Sheffield.

>If anyone is up this way and wants to visit the Graveyard I would be only
>too happy to show you were it is, as it can be a bit of nightmare to find
>if you haven't been before.

The bit that really threw me was when John turned into an office car
park in order to make a 180.   Apparently this was not because he had
got lost, but because you can't turn right where you need to...

ATB
--
Mike
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea"

///