Re: Unusual questions

To: "Thomas Mercks" <tmercks@mail.blount.state.tn.us>,
Subject: Re: Unusual questions
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 13:42:20 -0700
> I have a couple of curious and unusual questions about my '69 Spit Mk3.
First,
> while perusing the Rimmers catalog I noticed that the dashboard
configurations
> for Mk1, 2, & 3's would have the instruments in the center of the car and
not
> above the steering column.  My dash is configured more like a Mk4, with
> instruments over the steering column and vent controls in the center. I'm
> fairly sure the P.O. did nothing more than run the wheels off 'till he
blew
> the previous motor. Was this an American adaptation for the LH drive car
or am
> I just nuts?

Thomas, in 1969, the dashboards on American Mk3's were modified as yours is.
Black plastic, not wood, which came later with the MkIVs.  You have the
"correct" dash for a U.S. spec '69 Spitfire.  Only the '67 and '68 Mk3's had
the center instrument cluster with the walnut facia panel.

> Secondly, I have a set of hubcaps that cover the wheel with the text
"Triumph
> Spitfire" circling a center cone, circled by a series of vent slats. I
can't
> be sure they are not an early aftermarket, but I've never seen a
reproduction
> of these. Anyone else have these?

These were special hubcaps that were stock, I believe for the 1970 model
year, but perhaps '69 as well.  They are rather unusual and considered
somewhat rare.  Keep 'em.

Cio for now,

Jeff in San Diego

'67 RHD Spitfire Mk3 aka "Mrs. Jones"
'68 LHD Spitfire Mk3 project
home of the FREE Totally Triumph Auction
The Totally Triumph Garage forums  -- organized, illustrated, friendly!
http://www.ohms.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi
and the Totally Triumph Classifieds -- photo ads with advanced features
http://www.ohms.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.cgi

> Just curious. Thanks
>
> Tommy Mercks
> tmercks@mail.blount.state.tn.us