Re: Weber

To: Larry Vaughan <lvaughan@pldi.net>
Subject: Re: Weber
From: Howard Allen <Howard.Allen@fairchildsemi.com>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 10:14:42 -0400
I suggest that you check with your manual for the Weber as to proper
pressure.  when I put an electric fuel pump on my vehicle I bought one
with adjustable pressure setting from JC Whitney.  Works well and is a
demand pump so I don't have to use a return line like some pumps
require.  I connected a 0-30 PSI guage in line to monitor the pressure
and adjusted according to the requirements of my carb (not a weber)
which happened to be 7-8PSI.  Many cars with larger carbs seem to run at
lower pressures (3.5-4.0 PSI) but I suspect the small fuel reserve of my
Holley requires more flow under heavy acceleration.  (Confirmed this by
trying a lower setting and ran dry under hard acceleration).

SAFETY NOTE: Make sure you wire the pump so that it only runs when the
engine is actually running!  If you don't and get into a bad accident
the pump may continue to supply gas to a a ruptured line spraying on hot
exhaust manifold or some such danger.  My pump relay is connected to the
oil pressure idiot light.  Some cars have seperate cicuits for the
electric chokes that only run when the engine is acutally running.
Unfortunately I found out that after the engine has been off for a few
days my carb bowl goes dry (fuel evaporates from a the bowl vent) so I
had to install an overide push button to "prime" the carburettor or the
car would never start.

Let me know how you made out and if you have questions!

Howard in Maine

Larry Vaughan wrote:

> I replaced the ignition switch in my '73 Spitfire, it worked just fine. The
> carb shot a steady stream of gas out, just like it did in Denver. I put the
> 40DCOE18 and cannon intake on and it ran ok. I adjusted the heater hose
> connections and adjusted the throttle cable connection. It started fine
> after the adjustments, so I put a pillow in the floor and drove down to my
> neighbor, a half mile, to show him my progress. He wasn't home, probably out
> driving his model T. I went home, turned the thing off, found my wife, told
> her " It runs, let's go."
> It wouldn't start. it hasn't started since. I assummed it was the fuel pump,
> because I had to prime the damn hose, every time I started the car
> initially.
> Today I took the hose off and pumped the manual lever on the fuel pump, to
> see if it worked and it did. I guess the carb needs cleaned up.
> I have a universal type electric fuel pump, I'm going to try tommorrow. Is
> there a problem with this
> Do you need a certain pressure or anything special for an electric fuel
> pump?
> Larry

///