I knew there'd be more . . .

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: I knew there'd be more . . .
From: BrYarboro@aol.com
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 22:42:33 EDT
Hello all;
Well, I took the '68 Mk.3 to a local LBC mechanic to get the SU's up and
running and for a quick looksee. The results: (The car was sitting for at
least 3-4 years)
1. Need to replace the steering rack and tie rod ends (I have a '70 donor car
I'll pull the rack from)
2. Have to rebush the front suspension, & replace the ball joints (shot).
3. Rear driveshaft u-joint is totally shot.
4. Need to replace both halfshaft u-joints (the source of the ominous rear
end rumble, together with the driveshaft joint.
4. Replace the tach and speedo cables.
5. Remove surface rust from fuel tank.
My questions are:
1. What is required to replace the halfshaft u-joints? Can I do it myself?
I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but have never tried this one.
2. Should I rebush the rear suspension and do I need to redo the rear
bearings if no noise at present?
3. Any recommendations on parts sources. I've used Spitbits and VB, but the
Roadster Factory seems to have the best prices overall. Comments?
4. Any advice  for easy, ie cheap, but effective, rust removal and rust
proofing for gas tank?

I paid $500 for a pretty intact car, plus got a parts car, so I'm not totally
bummed out, but I'm eager to get her on the road and realize it'll take me a
month or more to do all of this. There isn't much choice but to attempt to do
it myself, due to money.
Any advice would be most welcome.
Brian Yarborough
'67/'68 Mk 3