Re: Steering Slop

To: "Spit List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Steering Slop
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 19:47:55 +0100
Hi Craig, Richard,
I would be he of the 2000 2500 2.5 PI coupling recomendation (their may be
others as well) I replaced my rubber one several times on my Herald, they
DON'T last as long as the original! I got fed up with all the pratting
around lining it all up about every 18 months, fitted the UJ then removed it
and used it on a Dolomite to replace the same crappy rubber type thing,
finally failed after about 5 years, and it was 89000 miles old when I
removed it from the Triumph 2500 donor! You need the lower joint for a
manual steering car (not PAS) part no.145377. This not only removes the
perpetual hassle of the original component it gives even more precise
steering control, yes it is possible, if every thing else is tight you will
notice that just the slightest movement of the steering wheel will move the
road wheels!
Try Mick Dolphin !!! NFI but he has become a friend through the years of
supplying me with bits!

Have fun and enjoy!

Graham,
1967 1300 FWD
1968 2000 Saloon
1972 2.5PI Saloon
1974 Sprinted Dolomite 1850
1975 Toledo in restoration!

http://www.triumph-iw.co.uk
http://www.mickdolphin.co.uk Spares Supplier.

| I have heard recommendations that the flexible coupling should be replaced
with
|  a universal joint (as used in the steering column of 2000/2500/2.5PI
saloon
|  cars), as the problem is less likely to re-occur, but I just used the
standard
|  coupling, figuring that if it lasted as long as the first one did (20
years)
|  that would be good enough for me!  If you are in the States, and
2000/2500
|  parts are hard to come by, Rimmers are bound to do them, but cost will
become
|  more of an issue then!
|
| Richard & Daffy

///