Re: 1500 venting

To: "Spitfires" <spitfires@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: 1500 venting
From: "Mike Chambers" <mikech@sprynet.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 09:04:53 -0700
Seems like everyone is ignoring the root cause of the problem, excessive
blow by.   In my experience I've never seen a Spitfire  engine that could
not be vented through the valve cover vent, whether it was vented to the
carb, air cleaners or atmosphere. High compression, low compression, didn't
matter. Even my last engine, that blew a steady stream of smoke out of the
valve cover vent and burned a quart of oil every 200 miles, never popped out
the dipstick.  Maybe its time for a good rebuild.
MikeC