Spitfire Disk Brakes

To: Spitfires Digest <spitfires-digest@autox.team.net>, herald1200@home.com
Subject: Spitfire Disk Brakes
From: LT <llst@telus.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 00:38:35 -0800
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 14:47:46 -0500
From: "Scott A. Roberts" <herald1200@home.com>

Hi Everybody!

Yesterday I had the opportunity to strip the front disk setup from a Mk
2
Spitfire in a local yard. I am intending to replace my standard front
drums with the factory installed type disk setup. The car they came
from, S/N FC 75008 L, was equipped with the single piston brake
cylinder. Also, these are of the later style (as used on the Herald)
disk setup with the three hole mounting and the dust shields.

My questions regarding this are these:

1. Are the disks the same for a Spitfire Mk 2 and the later Mk 3 + 4?
(1300 &1500?)
2. Are the calipers the same?
3. While the master cylinder looks the same as the one in my Herald, is
it
internally the same? I wish to keep the earlier style single master
cylinder, mainly for originality, and as the Spitfire donor car had it,
I imagine it to be possible, but was wondering if the inside diameter
was bigger or not.
4. I understand the rear wheel cylinders are supposed to be a larger
bore than the standard ones, when using the disks on the front- Are
these the same as a later Spitfire as well?

Hi Scott.
The disks appear to be the same but the pads for the Mk2 are a fraction
shorter in length than the later models. The calipers are different on
the Mark 3 and up.
I think the earlier Spitfire rear drums had a 5/8 bore cylinder whereas
the later ones had a 3/4 bore. When I took my rear drums off, I had one
of each??
As the parts are interchangeable, I decided to install the Mark 3
version of calipers and pads since the price for pads and overhaul kits
is less.

Larry Ternowski
Surrey BC