Re: Replace ZS Carb with Weber DGV

To: "Bollinger, Bob D. (BODB)" <BODB@chevron.com>
Subject: Re: Replace ZS Carb with Weber DGV
From: Kirk Crawford <kirk-crawford@home.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 09:47:12 -0800
At 9:29 AM -0800 3/23/01, Bollinger, Bob D. (BODB) wrote:
>I am planning to replace the ZS carb on my 79 Spitfire with a Weber DGV.  I
>pretty sure I shouldn't go with the water choke as that seems to be one of
>the faults of the ZS on the 79.  The question I have is if I should go with
>the electric or manual choke on a new Weber DGV?  Also, any insights or
>suggestions into the ZS to Weber conversion?
>
>On a related subject for my education, how does the electric choke works?
>What does the electric choke sense in order to adjust the choke setting?

I have a Weber DGV with Electric Choke on my 68 spit that had leaky
SU's.  The electric choke works fine.  It works by using the
electricity to heat the wire of a coil.  This coil is connected to
the choke and as the wire slowly heats up, it gradually turns the
choke off.  When it cools, the choke comes back on.  Once you install
the carb, you hook the wire up to the choke.  This should be a wire
that is hot only when your switch is on.  Then you can adjust the
time the choke stays on by loosening the screws and twisting the
black plastic electric choke body itself. It took me a while to
figure out this part.  I suppose a water based unit would work well
too, but I'm not sure if they can be adjusted like the electric one.
Since installing the Weber DGV I have had many years of happy driving
with little if any carb adjustment.
--
---
Kirk Crawford AIM:KirkBCraw