Brake problem. Long - Sorry!

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Brake problem. Long - Sorry!
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 15:47:33 -0000
Hi Folks
I have been helping a friend with the brakes on his Vittesse, there is a
really strange problem with the brakes, we have had every thing from rock
solid pedal, (master cylinder pushrod too long) to brakes so soft the pedal
hits the carpet. The car has a remote servo added to the system, we have
gradually eliminated the problem to the front offside (UK) calliper, by
removing different brake lines at the brass splitters and replacing them
with bleed nipples. The problem is that the pistons seem to be retracting a
long way. I think the reason for this is that the pistons seem to be loose
in the bores. We have stripped and cleaned the calliper (rebuilt some time
back used for a year then stood in the garage for a couple of years during
other work) when rebuilt new pistons were fitted. When I refitted each
piston to the calliper I noticed that they "walked" down the bores with a
rocking type motion. I think this is allowing too much distortion of the
seals which then pulls the piston back. Does this sound feasible, the brakes
have been bled and rebled so often that the fluid coming through is clean
(views on reusing it!) We have used the pedal, a pressure bleeder, one way
valves on the nipples, even made sure the piston on the outside of the
calliper was bled by pushing it well out then opening the nipple and pushing
the piston back! We are very sure that air is not the problem.
Does any one have any ideas?
Also does any one have a list of vehicles that use the Girling type 16BP
(could be PB).
Thanks in advance.

Graham.