Re: Mystery component (revisited)

To: "M. E. Foster" <foster_m@swbell.net>
Subject: Re: Mystery component (revisited)
From: Bob Sykes <stan.part@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 10:09:53 -0500
Mr. Foster,

No apology necessary, and no offense taken.  I no longer receive the
list "real time", but get the digest version containing about a day's
worth of posts all at once.  I tend to "surf" the digest fairly quickly,
not giving some of the messages the attention they might deserve.  After
re-reading your message, I now see that I misunderstood.

My original post was obscure in that I called the mystery component
a "lamp test relay".  Although that is the function of the component,
it is not the name used in the manual.  I should have mentioned that.
I don't like it, but "Starter Relay" it is...

Trying to figure out the wiring on these cars can be very frustrating.
Inaccuracies in the schematics, similar looking parts used for various
functions, odd nomenclature, possibly coupled with faded (or burned)
wiring colours and previous owner modifications makes it a formidable
challenge.  That's why we love these cars so much isn't it? ;-)

I cannot take all the credit for figuring out the correct wiring. A
fellow named Tom O'Malley did most of the work.  Some of the "old-
timers" on the list may remember him.  I don't think he lurks on the
Spitfires list anymore.  He took some complete wiring harnesses from
his parts cars and reverse engineered them.  No easy task.  We did
quite a bit of collective "head scratching" trying to make sense of
the conflicting information in the manuals.

--
LBC'ing U,
Bob (& Spitfires)