Rebuilding Break Master Cylinder

To: "Spitfires (E-mail)" <Spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rebuilding Break Master Cylinder
From: "Greg Schluge" <gschluge@cstone.net>
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2001 23:01:59 -0500
I had not driven the spit in a month and a few weeks ago I decided it was
time to take it out for a drive.  No breaks.  Master cylinder failed.  I
have a 76 and after I got into it a little, I found it was a 78, it has the
clevis pins holding the fluid reservoir on.  It was pretty messy, lots of
brown gunk.  I cleaned it out and purchased a kit from Spit Bits.  I was
impressed that everything went together well, all the parts fit.  I bench
tested it by putting my fingers over the outlet holes and pressing the
actuator with a screwdriver.  It seemed to be creating pressure in the vice.
I put it on the car, and found that it could not hold the hydraulic
pressure.  It does not seem to have enough pressure to even pump oil when
bleeding.  I have the secondary seals first seal to pump oil, the second
seal to catch oil from the primary and take pressure from it.  I have the
primary seals both pointing in to create pressure.  That is how I remember
taking it apart anyway, and it seems logical for a differential pressure
balanced system.  Are the seals bad, master cylinder worn out, put together
wrong?  If any of you have had similar experience please respond.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Greg Schluge
76 spitfire