Re: stumble resolved - new/old elec controls

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: stumble resolved - new/old elec controls
From: "Ptegler" <ptegler@gouldfo.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 13:40:46 -0500
Hi Douglas....
fellow electronics engineer here  :-)

A simple Hexfet would drive the coil just fine.
The Pertronix Ignitor (tiny...fits totally inside the dist)
is nothing more then a low ohm (<.028 ohm)
Mosfet/Hexfet transistor and a hall effect sensor
driving it.

We use to use 6-8 IRFZ40 (Mfr = International Rectifier)
hexfets in parallel in our R/C car electronic speed controllers.
With such low on state resistance, there is next to nil
power dissipation across the Hexfet. (then again
we were switching 200+ amps)  you'd only need to be able to
handle around 4-6 amps to fire the hottest of ign. coils.

National Semiconductor use to make a series of
absolute and gauge pressure transducers in a variety of
scales.
...just pulled an old (1977) NS spec book off the shelf....
LX16xx and LX17xx series sensors come in a variety of
rugidized housing as well as PC board mountable hybrid
modules.

the best I found (similar use years and years ago)
was the LX1604G/LX1704G ...scaled at  -15 to +15 psig
putting out 333+/-6 mV/psi
 - 25 Hg/in is roughly -12.3 lbs./in so you're well within usable scaling.

Another readily avail source is almost any GM vehicle built
after say...1978 that had elec ign. or a computer. They all use
vacuum sensors.

Most are probably still under $20.  I

I remember 10-20+ years ago Popular Electronics Magazine
had a whole series of articles on 'build it yourself' car electronics
back when EFI was first coming out.

My 1974 Midget...back in 1980... ended up with a complete
custom 'homemade' digital dashboard. All the gauges fit
within visual site inside the diameter of the steering wheel.
It had a
bargraph and number tach display,
speedo (w/trip) display,
switch selectable volts/amps display,
switch selectable oil temp/press display,
gas gauge that read out in 10 percent increments,
vac gauge,
switch selectable water temp/head temp.

Back then no vac sensors were within $$ range I could afford
just to play with (1976 = $250)
So I ended up building my own sensor from a stock mechanical
gauge. As the bourbon tube would collapse and curl, it would
slide a long bodied ten turn pot along its length (the end of the pot
was busted out so the screw could just slide in and out of the case)
It was good for about 1psi repeatability.

...enough ranting... aaahhh  the good old days of time on your hands.....

Best of Luck in you endeavor

Paul Tegler     ptegler@gouldfo.com    www.teglerizer.com