Spitfire heater valve quality, and manifold heat

To: "spitfires@autox.team.net" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Spitfire heater valve quality, and manifold heat
From: Kevin Rhodes <krhodes1@maine.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 17:23:48 -0500
Hey gang,

Someone recently mentioned Spit heater valves, which reminded me of
something with mine. I don't have one - I have a VW Fox valve that I
kludged into place after going through two brand new valves from Vicky Brit
when I first got the car. Having learned my lesson in the past four years
about not buying anything from them unless absolutely necessary, are the
valves available from Moss or Spitbits of decent quality? The VB ones both
had their operating levers break off within days of installation - just
plain poor quality! The VW Fox valve actually works OK as far as regulating
the heat, but it looks silly (it's a big plastic thing, originally vacuum
operated) and doesn't really fit the hoses all that well.

My other question is, my car has a 69 1296 in it, complete with dual SU's.
Is there supposed to be a water pipe running through the manifold? Mine
looks like the ends are broken off, I just have a hose running across that
area. Should I try to fix this or just leave well enough alone? The worst
that has happened is that one time years ago that hose rubbed against the
header and got a hole burned in it - rerouted over the top. Still, I have
been having thoughts of tidying up all these little details on my car lately.

Kevin Rhodes
Portland, Maine
Freddy the Spit.