Re: transport needed in UK

To: afuller <afuller@british-museum.ac.uk>,
Subject: Re: transport needed in UK
From: Richard B Gosling <Gosling_Richard_B@perkins.com>
Date: 16 Jan 2001 03:49:06 -0600
Adam,

Try Car Breakdown Recovery in the Yellow Pages - a lot of these people are
 happy to do long-distance transport as well as recovery to nearby garages.
 Call round several, both where the car is now and where you want it to be -
 there is a LARGE variation in prices.  Probably worth having a good haggle to
 bring the price down further!  As an idea, I got a couple of quotes around 200
 quid to move a car (in bits) about 60 miles about 3 years ago, and for that I
 demanded a lorry with a crane on it, as the bodyshell was not on wheels.  In
 London/Surrey you may have to pay a little more than rural East Anglia!

The other alternative (if your car has a tow-bar) is to hire a trailer and go
 and pick it up yourself - this will be cheaper, but you need to be confident
 in driving with a trailer - or have a good friend who is!  In fact, even if
 your car doesn't have a tow-bar, it may be cheaper to fit one, then hire a
 trailer, than get a lorry to transport it for you (I got a used tow-bar for my
 wifes BX for 15 quid from my local scrappy and fitted it myself in an hour or
 so).

I have used both these approaches when moving my TR7/8 project around, until I
 finally realised I didn't have time to do that AND maintain my Spitfire!

I hope your new friend gives you many happy hours of greasy pleasure!

Richard