RE: Pulsing and surging

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Pulsing and surging
From: Terry Thompson <epharisto@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 22:01:26 -0800 (PST)
Paul,
I have a problem with a pulsing/loss of power but it's
only in the range of 3k to 3500 rpms.

I get a sputter and power loss..Like the engine is
going to die (and it probably will) from flooding. If
I give it gas early enough I can power through past
3,500 (lingering in the 3 to 3.5k range seems to do
it) or if I really start to lose power, I take my foot
off the gas for a second (clutch out of gear and then
back in) and give it gas a few seconds later, it
clears up immediately. But if I creep back into the
"zone" it will start to do the 'pulse' again, (It
doesn't sputter or backfire, it just shimmy's a bit
and you can feel the car's power fading.)

It does it no matter what carb or needle I use (hs4 or
hif4, aau abt or whatever else I had needles of). It
always happens in that 3k to 3,500 rpm range. I spoke
with a mechanic (dave) at Motorhead and he said it
sounds like an ignition problem.

I tried new wires, plugs and points and the coil I
have is a 40k v lucas sport. I have an adjustible
elec. fuel pump also. I do NOT have an EGR valve.

I assume now that it's a vaccum advance problem
w/dizzy. I keep meaning to do a vaccum pressure
test on the intake to see what pressure it's pulling
and also test the vac advance on the dizzy, but I keep
putting it off until I get some more info on the dizzy
(I'm using one from a midget right now).

It doesn't sound like you're having the exact problem
as me, and you've already tried 'fixing' it.  But
maybe the ignition deserves another look. I had a
vacuum leak on my dizzy before and the car was really
sluggish and sputtered at almost any speed (not really
what I'm having now). It would rev fine (by hand) but
if you put a load on it (got in and drove it) you get
what I just mentioned.

Of course, since I haven't fixed the current
pulse/power fade  on my car yet, it's probably a dead
end. Sorry. That's probably not any help other than to
know I have/had a similar problem.

-Terry
http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/