Re: Propeller Shaft: Replacement Needed?

To: Ron Deaver <rrdeaver@emagichappens.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Propeller Shaft: Replacement Needed?
From: Douglas Braun & Nadia Papakonstantinou <dougnad@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 10:17:23 -0500
In the past I have ended up putting little gouges in the yokes,
because I had not been pressing the new cups in 100% straight.
It's hard to avoid if you are not using a good accurate, square
press.  Once I had to take a Dremel tool and carefully grind
away some little ridges that were next to the gouges.

In my opinion, the joint will be OK if there is no noticeable
free play or binding of the cups after you get it together.  Remember that
the prop shaft joints get only 1/3 or 1/4 the torque of the axle shaft
joints.  Plus, if the prop shaft is made out of balance by messed
up joints, it will be very obvious the first time you drive over
45 mph...

Doug Braun
'72 Spit