RE: Is Triumph coming Back???

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Is Triumph coming Back???
From: "Bowen, Patrick" <pbowen@intellinetics.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 12:27:47 -0500
Few years behing Earl.   Rover owned most of the British car marques(mostly
defunct) in 1995? Rover was bought by BMW.  In late 1999 early 2000 Rovers
truck line was sold to Ford, and and all the car lines sold to another group
-don't remember which one as there were two in contention.  However, BMW
retained ALL rights to the Triumph and Riley marques, refusing to sell them
to the point it almost brokedown the negotiations.  BMW would not have to
register as a new owner of the trademark as trademarks are transferrable and
are not reapplied for on the basis of new ownership.  Trademarks do expire
if I am not mistaken, about every 7 years if they are not renewed.  So the
question is why bother reapplying for a trademark you "don't care" about?