Soft top question

To: "'spitfires@autox.team.net'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Soft top question
From: "McKey, Paul" <P.J.McKey@massey.ac.nz>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 12:09:50 +1300
Hi listers

I've got a question and a tip.  First of all the tip.  I've just recently
installed my new mohair hood from Prestige Autotrim (excellent quality) and
was finding that the hood catches that latch into the top of the windscreen
were marking the hood when it was (correctly) folded away.  Solution:  Take
one bath towel and fold in half lengthwise and in half again.  Once the hood
is folded back, place the folded towel across the top of the folded down
hood frame (collapsable hood frames only of course).  Then simply fold the
hood forward as per usual.  Only takes an extra second and saves marking the
hood.

Okay, now for the question.  After having the new hood fitted, I notice
(because I get wet in the rain) that the front of the hood sits nearly 10mm
above the windscreen finishing strip in the centre, leaving a gaping hole.
I have considered bending the front of the hood down so that it meets the
windscreen, but thought I'd ask what anybody else has done in the past - I
understand this is probably quite a common occurence.  If bending the hood
frame is required, how has this been done - I'd rather not take the hood off
the car (but will of course if necessary) and that front hood frame edge is
a fairly significant lump of metal!

Thanks in advance yet again

Regards

Paul.