Re: car movies

To: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Subject: Re: car movies
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 00:36:52 -0700
"John T. Blair" wrote:

> The young fellow at the Blockbusters was saying how he liked the movie and
> the foreign cars.  I asked him if he'd seen the original version, or
> Grand Prix, Le Mans, Bullet, etc.  He hadn't.  Then he checked his computer
> and they don't stock most of the movies I was naming.

Blockbusters is part of the Viacom media conglomerate, and since that
includes Paramount Studios, they give up space for such as the above in
favor of their interests.

But, in the interests of furthering everyone's movie list (since I like
movies about as much as I like cars), here are some of the oldies to
look for:

"Vanishing Point" (1971) Madman or lone hero (take your pick) cruises
the west at high speed, finally takes on large front-end loader with
Dodge Challenger and loses. Lots of action, though. Cleavon Little's
first film appearance, I believe.

"Bullitt" (1968) The first and definitive car chase movie. McQueen
wanted to do the stunt driving, but the studio would not let him, and
finally had to shoot the scenes by diverting him from location on
business ruses, while one of his motorcycle buddies, hair sprayed
silver, did the stunt driving. Count the number of hubcaps lost by the
bad guys' Charger in the chase scene.

"The Italian Job" (1969) Often spoken of on this list. Funny, and the
opportunity to see very expensive cars destroyed, the chance to see
Benny Hill camp up his TV persona and a cathartic experience for people
who hate the Italian police, the Mafia and/or Alfa-Romeos. The chase
scenes with the Mini-Coopers are delightful, as is the ending.

"Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry" (1974) Peter Fonda as a renegade roundy-round
driver, trying to prove, in some fashion, that "roundy-rounders can
drive in more than one direction." An odd movie, with many lapses. Also
features Warren Oates, I believe.

"Thunder Road" (1958) Classic Robert Mitchum drama about a backwoods
moonshining hero. Mitchum even had a moderately successful single
singing the theme song himself. Gene Barry as the dastardly revenooer.

"Grand Prix" (1966) James Garner as the down-and-out driver looking for
a ride. Cinematography is excellent, and at times, poetic. Still, a
studio picture, with all the elements of studio head intrusion apparent.

"Le Mans" (1971) Not McQueen's best effort, because it tried to blend
the "big" studio picture, with all the classic subplots, with
documentary technique, and the two styles tended to conflict.
Nevertheless, interesting viewing. Technically surprising at times (sort
of blending the slow-motion violence of Sam Peckinpah with the
high-speed reality of auto racing in the hope of letting the viewer see
what the racing driver seems to see at speed), but distracting in other
ways.

"On Any Sunday" (1971) Another McQueen-sponsored film, about motorcycle
racing, directed by Bruce Brown, but clearly geared to people who like
speed and competition.

"Two for the Road" (1967) This is mostly a romantic comedy with an edge,
about the history of a couple (Albert Finney and Audrey Hepburn) whose
collective experiences with each other merge on the highway, with lots
of cars involved. Herald fans will find Finney, as an up-and-coming
British architect, toodling around the continent in a Herald
convertible, looking for dalliances.

"Little Fauss and Big Halsey" (1970) Another motorcycle movie, but this
one is for the mechanics. Michael J. Pollard does well as the mousey guy
with the gift for tuning who makes Robert Redford's blowhard Halsey look
good on the track.

"THX 1138" (1970) This is not, per se, a car film, but the hero
eventually finds his way to freedom with high-powered machinery. The
film eventually was released in the theaters, though it was George
Lucas' thesis film when he was at USC; it was produced with the help of
Francis Ford Coppola, and that might have helped it reach theatrical
release. An odd, interesting film.

Well, that's a sampling. I can probably dredge up even more with some
time on my hands.

Cheers.

--

Michael D. Porter