Re: Daily drivers

To: "spitfires" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Daily drivers
From: "Bruce Hestand" <bhestand@mediaone.net>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 20:57:41 -0500
I bought my Spitfire new in 1980.  Had it exactly one tank of gas worth
before I walked away from it the first time, learned to watch the gauge was
after that.  Used it as a daily driver for 3 years and can't count the
number of times it stranded me.  Finally bought another daily driver but
just couldn't let the Spit go.  About 6 weeks after I bought another daily
driver I had just gotten off the phone with a friend and started laughing
because it occurred to me that when I told him I would meet him at a certain
place and time that I could actually expect to get there, being without the
"spectre" of possible breakdown was a new thing to me at that time.

Still have it 20 years later but haven't put any miles on it since I parked
it at my in-laws to go on my honeymoon in 88.  My very understanding wife
(of 12 yrs now) said "use it, or find it a good home" so am currently in the
very early stages of a restoration project.  Nowadays I have a cell phone,
AAA and multiple daily drivers so a temperamental LBC can be enjoyed for the
fun that it brings without undue hassle if it happens to be "down" on any
particular day/week.

Bruce Hestand
'80 Spitfire, '89 Harley, '95 F150, '00 Town&Country
"So many roads, so little time"