Molding your own carpet

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Molding your own carpet
From: Nolan Penney <npenney@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 21:45:55 -0500
At a car show I talked to a guy who was selling auto carpeting cheaply by
the roll.  I meant to pick some up, but forgot.

Anyhow, the interesting thing was that he told me I could mold my own carpet
with a heat gun, and that this is essentially how the automakers mold their
own carpets.  That what I would do is use a heat gun and warm up an area,
then using something like a sand bag, set it into or against the shape I was
trying to fit.  Work around the section, and I would have my very own molded
carpet.  He said he could usually do an entire car in a couple of hours this
way, and that I could do it in a weekend easily enough the first time.

Don't know how real this is, or of any of you folks have experience at it.
If you do, please, let me/us know how well it worked for you.  Otherwise,
maybe one of you will find this helpfull and give it a try.

As a P.S. this was automotive carpeting, not the jute backed stuff for
houses that one buys at a carpet warehouse.