Harley Question (non-LBC, obviously, and sorta long)

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Harley Question (non-LBC, obviously, and sorta long)
From: HD883HUGGR@aol.com
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 15:28:23 EST
Hi Troops.  Haven't yet found a Harley list, but being mechanically
illiterate I figure "a wrench is a wrench"...  Besides, folks like me who
find Triumphs more fun than a host of other world-class cars already has the
Harley mindset, so hopefully we have a few Hog owners in the group!
    Lately my high-beam indicator has started flickering on and off (when low
beam is in use), and last night the headlight decided to do the same.  Then
suddenly all flickering will stop -- headlight on full, high-beam indicator
dark.  And then the flickering resumes.  Goosing the throttle a tad (in
Harley lingo, that means "making the bike vibrate more for a moment") seems
to have an effect on it, so have assumed it is a ground problem rather than a
short, but this assumption may be 100% offbase.  And since the performance of
the bike does not seem impaired, I doubt it's a main ground but instead a
ground for the lighting circuit...but again, I may we 'way off on that
hypothesis as well.
    In case it has anything to do with it: over a year ago I replaced the
stock turn signals (1157 bulbs, twin lead, glow all the time and then glow
brighter when turn signal is actuated) with custom bullets (1156, single
lead, only glow when turn signal is actuated), and just cut & taped the hot
lead.  It worked fine all year long until a few weeks ago when the flickering
thing started, so I assume nothing is wrong there, but felt it merited
mention.
    Before I start ripping into it, thought I'd toss it into the ring and see
if we have any electrical gurus or Harley owners who might be able to shed
some light.  Thanks!
    Scott
        & Hobbs, 77 Spitfire, daily driver
            & "the Harley" -- (why didn't it get a more informal name?)