Re: Trailing Arms

To: spitfires-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Trailing Arms
From: "R.D. Waid" <msp01091@isd.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 18:32:55 -0500
I had to repair my rust-damaged trailing arm bracket last year. It was
previously repaired by gas welding and was broken loose; the front section of
the  mounting beam was oilcanning fore-and-aft (made a strange fluttery noise)
because the beam had torn away from the floor. I reinforced it all with angle
irons and grade 8 bolts, so it is now very strong and silent. When I get my
floor hole patched i intend to have this repair welded into the structure as
well. I never was able to find the source of the noise until I removed the
driver's side axle assembly to repalce the u-joint. Everything seemed tight
until the trailing arm was detached from the vertical link.

Bob Waid
FK 4081L