RE: Welding Spit body panels

To: "'Mike Ginter'" <mginter@concentric.net>
Subject: RE: Welding Spit body panels
From: gschluge@cstone.net (Greg Schluge)
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2000 10:03:17 -0400
I have a gas rig and a mig.  The gas is slow and hot.  It also spits through
rust.  I was good with it though and could form metal over curved areas.  I
bought a mig and had some trouble learning how to use it in rusty sheet
metal.  I was always blowing through.  The trick is, lots of starts and
stops.  As soon as you see cherry red glowing, you have to get off of it.  I
have an LCD screen helmet and that helps with the starting and stopping.  I
welded 50 plus holes in my 76 spit floor pans and near the end, I did not
need to put patches in, I could just weld the hole shut and grind it flat.
I ground the bad spots on the bottom and used plastic undercoating to cover
up the weld spots after painting the whole car bottom.  I used argon-co2
mix, the argon was too expensive and I did not see any difference in the
weld or the ease of weld.