Re: Low compression in number 2

To: Jeff Gruber <jgruber@demainsoft.com>
Subject: Re: Low compression in number 2
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2000 16:54:28 -0700
Not necessarily!  The low compression might be caused by burned valves.  Take
the head off and assess the condition of the valves.
Then look at the condition of the cylinders.  If you have a ridge forming on
the top of the cylinder, it would indicate that more than
likely the rings are also worn out.

Ring jobs aren't necessarily difficult, and if you don't have any cylinders out
of round or worn excessively (to require boring) you
could do a ring job without pulling the engine block.  I'd brush hone the
cylinders at minimum though to ensure that there is a swirl
that will keep oil on the walls after the the piston drops.

Of Course there is also the condition of the main bearings to consider.  If the
rod bearings are worn badly and the thrust washers are
also worn, it may be good idea to go ahead and replace the mains as well.   And
by then you are into a major overhaul.

So I guess my advise is to take it one step at a time and see what the
condition is!

Regards,
Joe