More LRP Stuff

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: More LRP Stuff
From: OHFASTONE@aol.com
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 16:05:28 EDT
Hello List buddies, I have a letter from Richard who is still having posting
problems.

Michael,

I'm afraid I don't know very much more about the dangers of mixing additives.
 I do know that different additives and LRPs use different chemicals to
provide
 the lubrication that lead used to provide - I have a vague feeling that
 manganese may be one, potassium another?  It was in an article I read late
 last year, in the build-up to the leaded petrol ban, that I found out about
 the dangers of mixing different LRPs and additives, although exactly what
 happens if you do it didn't say.  I guess it is probably OK to mix two
 additives that use the same active ingredient, but that is only my
assumption,
 and I wouldn't risk doing even that myself.

You could try the FBHVC
 (http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/motordata/page16.html), since they
 commissioned the tests on the additives, they might know a bit more.

The FBHVC will not release a list of the additives that failed the test.  What
 is known is that there were two of the so-called 'catalyst devices' tested -
 these are basically canisters of tin pellets that you insert part-way along
 the fuel line, and the manufacturers claim that it acts as a catalyst to
 modify the petrol, and allows the use of normal unleaded fuel.  No such
device
 was endorsed by the FBHVC, so it is reasonable to assume that these things
 aren't much good.  The whole concept sounded pretty dodgy to me (with an
 A-grade A-level in Chemistry) even before the tests.

What seems strange to me is that I would have thought it was in the interests
 of the additive manufacturers and the petrol companies to promote the fact
 that additives and LRPs should not be mixed, to promote brand loyalty -
 instead this fact does not seem to be widely known - although it may say
 something on the back of the additive bottles, I've never actually looked at
 one.

Richard and (lead-free) Daffy