Re: Voltage regulator problems?

To: carbuff@nac.net, jmcneal@ohms.com, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Voltage regulator problems?
From: WyzeGuy555@aol.com
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 21:07:42 EDT
  As posted by Atwell:::::::::::

In a message dated 5/19/00 8:32:10 AM Pacific Daylight Time, carbuff@nac.net
writes:

<< At 10:30 PM 05/18/00 -0700, Jeff McNeal wrote:

 >A while ago, I ran a power lead from the radio directly to the battery.
 >Fired up the engine, revved to about 3,000 RPM and both the radio and CD
 >changer performed admirably.

 Jeff,

 The battery hookup is actually the preferred way to run your stereo system
 (as long as it's properly fused of course). The battery acts as a big
 capacitor, smoothing out the voltage and current variations that the audio
 components demand.

 The autosound enthusiasts often add extra batteries to their high-powered
 car systems to prevent just the problems you saw.

 Enjoy the tunes,

 Atwell Haines
 '79 Spitfire (very basic sound system, largely consisting of engine noises
 and suspension creaks)
 Succasunna, NJ USA

   from Paul   Fontana   ca

     and installing a good line suppressor [ coil or capacitor] filter in the
power
  feeds to audio units, act like little batteries ... it chops the peaks and
fills the lows
 which in turn smoothes out the DC line of voltage..
 a cheap way to build DC voltage is to use an electrolytic capacitor of
approx..
 30,000- 70,000 mfd.between the + and - feeding the unit will smooth the DC
  voltage and slightly raise it
 the smaller the mfd the smaller the rise..
 a usual cap for 12 to 15 volt DC audio units  that are in the unit.. on the
board,
 is 1,600 to 3,300 micro farads
  i can't guarantee that filtering is your only problem but its a very good
idea to put them in anyways...

good luck