Re: ENGINE SWAPPING

To: "Simmons, Reid W" <reid.w.simmons@intel.com>,
Subject: Re: ENGINE SWAPPING
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 10:25:02 -0700
Though I'm not as zealous as Reid and Chris on the subject, I must admit to
agreeing with their philosophy to a point.  Then again, with my Weber DGV
carb and Monza exhaust, I'm not driving a "true" Spitfire, either.  So where
do you draw the line?  I think this topic is subjective and potentially
detrimental to to the list because it has the strong potential to be
devisive.

While I have no personal interest in swapping engines or the rear end, I am
quite interested in a 5-speed transmission conversion that one of the
listers is working on.  Personally, I would prefer a straight 5-speed to an
overdrive unit.  Though I'd probably feel different if I already HAD one, I
don't, and I like the idea of a simpler gearbox that doesn't require another
complicated component like the "D" and "J" drivetrains entail.  I sure wish
that Triumph would have devised a stock 5-speed gearbox before they went
away...

One way or another, I'd like to have lower RPM at cruising speeds.  If I
can't find a clean full-synchro gearbox with a J overdrive and that 5-speed
coversion box turns out to be smoke, I'll probably just stick to the
original stock gearbox, stay on the backroads and fuggeddaboutit.

Best wishes,

Jeff in San Diego

'67 RHD Spitfire Mk3 aka "Mrs. Jones"
home of the NEW Totally Triumph Auction
and... The Triumph Autos/Parts Wanted Listings
http://www.ohms.com/cgi-bin/TRwanted.cgi
...plus a few other surprises!