Re: Spitfire chassis numbers

To: Richard B Gosling <Gosling_Richard_B@perkins.com>
Subject: Re: Spitfire chassis numbers
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 11:18:21 -0700
Richard (and all)

Let me further clarify this situation (as my recollection goes)

1.  Someone mentioned the article on the list and cited the details without
saying what the source of the data was.
2.  I replied with the data from my source (Anders Clausager of the BMIHT).
3.  The comments probably can be attributed to me as they do reflect my
feelings about anybody who spouts information without any
proper credentials or credible source.  Since none was given, it appeared that
was the case.
4.  I never gave my permission to use my name in any derogatory article
published in any club magazine.
5.  Had the fact that the information was taken from Robson's book, "A
Collector's Guide, Triumph Spitfire and GT6", I would have
looked it up and found that it is indeed there.  But is quite misleading.  In
reading the data, it would appear that the US 1500
production started with FM28001 and went forward from there.  There is a small
mention in the MkIV data above which mentions "FM prefix
for USA 1500's".

This is quite misleading because some people think that the 1500 serial
sequence is intermingled with the FH series starting with the
MkIV.  It is not!  the FM sequence was started separately from the FH series in
1973 with FM1 to designate the USA Spitfire 1500
model.  It continued until 1980 when the VIN sequence replaced both the FH and
FM models.  THe FH series, on the other hand was indeed
a continuation of the MkIV series and had a few FL (Sweden) and all the FK
(USA) cars included in that sequence.  The FM series stands
alone.
6. I have the utmost respect for Graham Robson and fully appreciate the work he
has done in his writings about the Triumph cars (as
well as other British Marques).  Certainly his proximity to the source of the
information gives him an advantage in accumulating such
data, but doesn't give him a monopoly on the facts.  As he states, the data
from BMIHT has varied over time, but this issue of the US
Spitfires in my estimation is a major blunder, and the facts speak for
themselves.

Regards,
Joe