Re: ENGINE SWAPPING (TR7 engine)

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: ENGINE SWAPPING (TR7 engine)
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 09:55:23 -0700
FWIW -
I seam to recall, in the same book that talked about the available engine
size increase over the 1300cc to what could have been over 1600 cc's if the
TR6 stroke was utilized but using a shorter stroke 1500cc's was settled
upon, that in fact such a swap was undertaken by the factory in the 60's as
a possible upgrade for the Spitfire.
The engine in question was the new slant four overhead cam which was
basically later used in the TR7
The consensus was that it required too many chassis, firewall, and bonnet
(bulge?) modifications for production.
The major problem with using any different engine in the Spitfire (as I see
it) is vertical clearance - *most* over head camshaft engines, by their
very nature, are just too tall, without bulging or cutting a hole the hood
for clearance - the second major hurdle is limited tranny space - that is
if you don't want or can't do any body or tunnel/frame mods to accommodate
the new engine.  These were prime factors when I did mine, plus I didn't
want the engine to frame clearance such that the exhaust couldn't fit
between the frame rails.  The Spitfire has limited ground clearance as it
is and having an exhaust pipe hanging WAY below the frame was not
acceptable to me anyway -
> Now I'm curious :-) What are the pros and cons of fitting a TR 7 engine
and
> gearbox in a Mk 2 Spitfire ? Anything else that need to be modified or
> changed ?

72 PI, V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (long term project)