Turn the on headlights, car flicks off?!?! 1980 Spitfire

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Turn the on headlights, car flicks off?!?! 1980 Spitfire
From: John Weale <jweale@eskimo.com>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 11:07:10 -0700 (PDT)
        OK, I know the answer probably starts with L, ends with ucas and
has a nice string of short, four letter sylabels in-between, but... Has
anyone run into a problem where their Spitfire flicks off for a second
when the lights (and sometimes the radiator fan) turn on?  I turn on my
lights and for a half second the engine stops dead, the radio stops and
there are no lights on the dash (not even the ignition light).  The whole
car blinks.

        Now, honestly, I don't have a problem with this.  My car leaks
onto my right foot in the rain, shudders a bit going through 65 (smooth at
80 though :), drips in my lap during rain with a cross wind from the
driver's side and has squishy brakes (OK, that bothers me, new MC is on
the calendar). Quirks are fine, but I expect any day to have her not blink
back on.  Probably in the middle of some bridge with no shoulder during
rush hour in San Francisco or something. So, I feel I need to tackle this.
Anyone ever solve a similar problem suggest a circuit to rehab?  If not,
I'm going to start cleaning and replacing electrical connections starting
with the ignition circuits. Oh, one last maybe clue -- the tach
ocasionally goes crazy (it'll bounce all over the place, over redline, off
the zero post, and so on for a second or two when slowing down).

Thanks for the help and/or letting me whine,

John Weale
1980 "British Racing Orange" Spitfire