Re: -Spitfire tranny in a GT-6??

To: "N.A. Campiglia III" <spitdrvr@camalott.com>
Subject: Re: -Spitfire tranny in a GT-6??
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 01 May 2000 09:49:24 -0700
>it has a significant transmission problem and would need to be replaced,
>can/will a Spitfire Single rail fit in it??  What type of conversion parts
>would I have to have/make??  I have the single rail already in the shed,
>this cold be a GREAT deal if I can fit it in the 6...
********************************
While they're *basically* the same casing, the fundamental differences
would keep you from doing it.  First and most importantly the input shaft
is very different.  Different length, different splines, different diameter
for the clutch.  If you try to use the bellhousing that goes with the Spit
tranny (which you practically have to because of this transmissions
shifters' sliding shaft that protrudes into the bellhousing during second
and fourth gear shifting) and the engine back plate and mount them on the
GT6 engine, you'll find that the starter would be on the wrong side and
would foul the oil filter assy.  Secondly, even if you *could* use the
tranny the ratios would be all wrong.  Additionally, I seriously doubt that
the Spitfire components could stand the stress.  GT6 innards were made of
higher strength materials than the Spitfire counterparts to withstand the
additional loads of the 6 cyl, and even then, they don't last all that long
- So the short answer would be no -

72 PI, V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (long term project)